Monday, January 22, 2007

African birthday

It's been a merry old weekend in Kigali as i celebrated my birthday in true Rwandese style.

We headed out to Lake Muhazi, about an hour outside of Kigali: myself, my colleague and friend Marco, a new arrival to the GLCSS called Emmanuel, and our Rwandese friends Faustin, Stella and Dhativah (or D for short).

Although it was a misty day, the lake was beautiful and we sat there drinking beers and eating grilled goat until the sun went down, casting a brilliant glow over the lake's placid waters.

To top it all off, the Rwandese guys had arranged a cake and a card for me, as well as a hearty chorus of Happy Birthday. Normally i hate having that god-awful dirge sung at me, but on this occasion i took it as good, wholesome fun.

At least it made a change from the music being played by the crowd on the table next to us, who seemed to have brought only one record with them, which they played relentlessly until they left. I don't think i'll ever have another birthday, without the lyrics "Nigeria suffer suffer, gunshot inna the air" ringing in my ears.

Never mind, it's a damn sight better than "For he's a jolly good fellow."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday my friend! harry

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry man but ou are a complete twat. When I started reading yor stuff I thought you were living in some ortodox settlement rather than in the U.K. You shouldnt be allowed to a. be a journalist or reffer to yourself as one and b. listen to Rage Against the Machine or anything made after the Old Testament was written. Your article on the activities of the ISM are misguided. I am Jewish and was good friends with Tom Hurndall. I really do not understand what would bring a young man like yourself to talk about his family in such a manner. I am positive if something like this would have happened to you your family would also try to bring those responsible to justice. You sound like you have been brainwashed by some right wing radical...pity. Hannah

9:58 AM  
Blogger Rob Davies said...

Oh dear. I don't know this girl, and neither does anyone i know, from what i can gather. She's referring to a piece from September 17th last year, in which i quoted an article by a prize loon called Arutz Sheva.

Unfortunately, she clearly didn't read the beginning of the piece, in which i warned that although i was going to quote this buffoon, it was only because of my outrage at what he had said.

Sadly, Hannah seems to have attributed his opinions to me, which is actually deeply hurtful, considering how strongly i feel about injustices perpetrated by the Israeli government and about the death of my friend Tom.

I hope she will realise her error and i'm sure it was made in good faith. However, i would ask her to read the ENTIRE article, before commenting next time.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home